In thinking about what to post tonight, the Beatles tune “With a Little Help From My Friends” has been in my head all day. This post is dedicated to you — the people who are in my life.
It’s May 31st. I have been pursuing a goal to exercise everyday for the month of May to raise money and support for those who are living with Cancer (including their family members). This goal was important to me to achieve, because my father, George Hoar, passed away 5 years after living with the disease (off and on) for 14 years. In honor of him and the values that he and my mother helped to instill in me (and my siblings), I’ve attempted to raise $500 for this cause. The challenge was called Workout to Conquer Cancer.
The final results are in …
Whoot Whoot!!! The results are in and I overshot the goal by nearly 50%! That is outstanding. To celebrate I also did one of the hardest workouts I have attempted throughout the month.
Seriously, thank you to everyone who supported me. I really couldn’t have done this without my family and friends. There are just so many ways that you helped me:
- Donations! Over 10 people contributed financially towards my goal
- Workout buddies. Walks, bike rides…
- Accountability partners — thank you Mel and Andrew.
- “Likes” on Facebook
- Private messages about your personal relationship to cancer and why this issue is important to you too
- Massage treatments for the tired muscles
- Child care and child taxi duty so that I could have the time to exercise
- And one dear friend gave me a prize! She gave me this super cool hat this week to use when the weather turned poor. [I love awards! That is a pretty huge motivator for me]. This will be forever more known as the Workout to conquer cancer hat.
Thank you! Please know how deeply appreciative and humbled I am. Your generosity in spirit, friendship, and financial means is inspiring. I also know that my Dad was with me/us through this whole month. His spirit made this challenge fun, light, and positive.
Not sure what is next… maybe 30 days of yoga?